In response to COVID-19 and the temporary suspension of many of Parks Canada’s visitor services, public avalanche bulletins will no longer be issued for the remainder of the 2020 spring season. This is a time to avoid the backcountry. Please stay home to help limit the spread of COVID-19, and to minimize demands placed on emergency response teams and the health care system.
There is variable windslabs throughout the region. Be extremely cautious in terrain traps where even a small slide could have dangerous consequences. One may expect avalanches to run to ground with increasing load and rain aspect elevation dependent.
This is a developing problem with high freezing levels up to 2400m, rain, snow, overtop a basal crust located up to 2200. Surface crust likely forming as warm precipitation followed by cold temps. Steep areas would be particularly prone.
Deep persistent slabs are best managed by:
Cornices are best managed by:
Tonight will be flurries, 6 cm of snow, Low -3 C, 20 km/h gusting to 45 km/h winds, and freezing level 1600 meters. Saturday will be cloudy with scattered flurries, 4 cm of snow, High -2 C and ridge wind west 15-35 km/h with freezing level 2000 meters.
A detailed forecast can be found from Avalanche Canada's, Mountain Weather Forecast.
40-70cm sits atop a weak basal crust. Snowpack is moist to the ground with rain and wet snow. Height of snow is variable from zero to 85cm in wind drifted areas. Expect slab development in specific terrain features with incoming precipitation, winds, and high relative humidity. Expect a new crust up to 2400m with rain followed by cold temperatures.
Natural avalanche cycle up to size 2 were mostly loose moist point release on all aspects at treeline. They remain relatively small. One slab release size 2 on Parker Slabs from steep deposition zone showed good propagation likely on the basal crust. Visibility was limited.